DHCA Office Hours

Monday, Wednesday, Friday

8:00 AM – 12:00 PM

You may contact the office by phone (808) 929-9576, fax (808) 939-9046 or email

DHCA Office Address

Mailing Address:

Discovery Harbour Association
P.O. Box 651
Naalehu, HI 96772

Physical Address:

94-1604 Makali’i Street
Naalehu, HI 96772

You may contact the office by phone (808) 929-9576, fax (808) 939-9046 or email

An Article by a DHCA member: " Discovery Harbour - A Piece of the South Point Story"

Discovery Harbour … a good name, a name of historic significance.  It’s located in Waiohinu, near the southernmost point in the United States where the Polynesians discovered Hawaii.

Historians have found historic evidence of settlement at South Point dating to around the year 100 A.D.  A stonewall encompasses the area where the first settlers established a small village; the location is preserved on the National Historic Register.  Nearby are several important archaeological sites from that time: a fishing heiau, burial place, mooring stones, salt pan, and a Palahemo.  The walled fishing heiau is where fishermen left a fish offering to express their thanks for a successful catch.

You can read the article by clicking this link  – “Discovery Harbour – A Piece of  the South Point Story”

Are you Firewise?

Beekeepers Law & Contacts


Beekeepers List

  • Alison Yahna
  • Bee Boys
  • Honey Bee Mike

Community Courtesy Information List

DHCA receives money from *Sponsors who pay for the right to advertise their companies and products on our website and mailing.  The acceptance of these *Sponsors is not a guarantee or an endorsement by DHCA for the product or services offered.  Community Courtesy Information List

County of Hawaii Information

County of Hawai‘i website!

Their website offers a directory of County offices and services available to the public, as well as a guide to a variety of government programs, recreational facilities, senior activities, permits and budget information, and County government job opportunities.

Their website provides a means of making Hawai‘i County government more understandable and accessible to the public. They sincerely hope you will find the website an informative source of news and information about our County government.

Dogs Barking, Roosters making Noise...

Noisy Dog Pamphlet

Please use the complaint form located in the Forms and Reports webpage…

How do I Prepare for a Hurricane?

Hurricane season runs through November.  Be ready with supplies to last a week. Click here to open the link to the Hurricane Preparation Checklist

Public Access Room's (PAR's)_A division of the Legislative Reference Bureau

Public Access Room’s (PAR’s)_A division of the Legislative Reference Bureau

Redeem Your HI5 Beverage Containers

Certified Redemption Centers Located at County Recycling & Transfer Stations.

More locations not on the list:
, HOVE-9:00am-3pm, Volcano 8:00am-3:30pm

What To Do About Invading Coqui Frogs?

What's a Fire Ant Look Like?

Little Fire Ants are a new pest species on the Big Island. The fact sheet details how you can reduce the LFA problem in and around your home.

Contact Hawaii Ant Lab

Pacific Cooperative Studies Unit, University of Hawaii
16 E. Lanikaula St.
Hilo, HI 96720

Phone: 808-315-5656


Go to

Where Can I see the Latest Photos...

You can see the latest DHCA’s photos through this links…  Community Photos


Hawaii County Information

To report a burned out streetlight, please call the County Traffic Division at 961-8341. Please be prepared to give the street name, the pole number or identification, and the closest house address.

To have a dead carcass buried with dirt, please call the Highway Maintenance – Ka’u Baseyard at 939-2500.

To report an abandoned vehicle on County property, please first call the non-emergency police number 935-3311, as they must tag the vehicle, then call the abandoned vehicle County number, 961-8552 to inform them. Please be prepared to give the location and as complete identification of the vehicle as possible.

See for County information and links to the County Council and the Mayor.

 to Maintain County Roadside Area – No Herbicide Form

Department of Public Works- Highway Maintenance has a request form online to not utilize any herbicide.  After you fill out the form, click on the Submit Form at the upper right corner of the page.